TURTLE ROCK ELEMENTARY
Welcome to Turtle Rock Elementary Library & Media Center. Our mission is to teach our students 21st century skills and provide an inclusive and diverse collection that encourages a life-long love of reading.
RULES & EXPECTATIONS
- Students have access to the Library Media Center with their teacher during a scheduled time.
- Students are allowed to check out 1 book per week.
- Additional books will be permitted for school assignments.
- All books checked out need to be returned before any new books can be checked out.
- Students with late books or fines will not be allowed to continue checking out library books until their materials are returned or their fines paid.
- Fines will be assessed for lost or damaged books. Replacement books are not accepted as payment.
Birthday Book CLub
Here at Turtle Rock Elementary, we recognize that our school community enjoys celebrating special events such as birthdays! We also recognize that we have a tremendous opportunity to promote healthy behaviors and to show students how to enjoy special moments without making food the focus of our celebrations. In an effort to nurture healthy choices, we will be implementing a “Birthday Book” tradition that will benefit Turtle Rock’s library. A Birthday Book Club invites families to recognize their child's birthday by donating a book to the school library. By donating a book, you can create a lasting memory of your child’s birthday. It is also a great opportunity to teach your child about the joy of giving, and your participation enriches the library collection as well as allows you and your child to be personally involved in its growth. Here’s how the program works:
- STEP ONE: Select a book from our Wish List on Amazon.com. Use this link: https://amzn.to/3hDxnHj Please add to cart from list to avoid duplication. Only books purchased from this list will be accepted for the Birthday Book Club donation! All others will be returned.
- STEP TWO: Bring the book to school with the Birthday Book Club form (please do not bring separately). Your child will have a picture taken for the Birthday Book Club bulletin board.
- STEP THREE: During the next few weeks, the book will be processed for circulation, and a bookplate will be affixed inside the book to acknowledge your child’s birthday. Your child will be given the opportunity to be the first person to check-out the book.
DESTINY ONLINE (LIBRARY CATALOG)
- Go to http://destiny.iusd.org and click on Turtle Rock (or log in through Clever)
- Search the Turtle Rock library book collection and non-fiction e-books, as well as filtered Internet databases for research
- Links to additional student resources
- The Destiny login is the same as the student computer login (Do not add “@iusd.org” to the end of your username)
- IUSD single sign-in portal that allows students access to district-supported software. After you log into Clever, you may access Typing Agent, Overdrive, Destiny, and Encyclopedia Britannica.
- Go to clever.com/in/irvineusd and click “Log in With Active Directory”
- The Clever login is the same as your Google Account login:
Username: regular IUSD username + @iusd.org
Password: regular IUSD password
IUSDs library of e-books, audiobooks, and videos (both fiction and non-fiction) available to students. Students can access the Overdrive library through the Clever portal (or click Here).
- Log in at clever.com/in/iusd (see Clever above)
- Click the Overdrive icon.
- Log into Overdrive with your regular IUSD computer username and password. (Do not add “@iusd.org” to the end of your username)
- There are many ways to search for books, including subject, collection, and reading level
- eBooks can be checked out for designated periods of time (usually 14 days)
- Students can put a hold on a book if the book is not currently available
- eBooks can be read in any browser (no download required) or downloaded for free to devices like Kindle. iPad, smartphones and Chromebooks with the Overdrive app
- Click on the Help (? icon) at the top of the Overdrive home page for an Overdrive introduction or click: Overdrive Help
- Students can learn and practice important keyboarding skills at home or at school.
- Typing Agent has hundreds of lessons and tests, and reinforces typing skills with engaging games and quests
- Log into Clever (see above) and then click the Typing Agent icon.
- Online encyclopedia, available in three levels (elementary, middle and high school)
- Contains encyclopedia articles, multimedia, primary sources, games, and other learning resources that support student research and reinforce curriculum standards
NAT GEO KIDS